What Are You Reading Now?


This will be a short post for me. Today is the first day of our Silicon Valley RWA Chapter's annual conference. This year, we are doing an "All-Writers-All-Weekend" themed conference. I'll be the emcee and have the honor of introducing great writers like Catherine Coulter, Barbara Freethy, Candice Hern, Karin Tabke, motivational speaker Eric Maisel and others! We will of course, have agents on hand for hungry and aspiring writers to pitch to. So, I'll be pretty busy for the next 48 hours.

But speaking of Catherine Coulter---an author I've enjoyed reading for years now....I decided to step back and read more of the old historicals, those on Catherine's backlist and others. I wanted to study the books that helped to launch great careers---and I just wanted to take a break from everything. With the downturn of the economy (one reason why our RWA local chapter did not fly editors in from New York for our conference) and the flu outbreak...what do you read for pure escapism?
I'm reading a Signet Regency Romance called Red Rose, written by the great Mary Balogh. Yep, it was published in 1986 and this copy is so old it's the color of parchment. I love it. Rich characters,with lots of period detail.

Reading this now I can see how Ms. Balogh's star has risen so high. She is wonderful. Kind of makes me think "I knew her when." ;-)

What (or who) are you reading now? Who is your favorite "backlist" author?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brandywine Springs Tour -- September 21

N. Dushane Cloward

The wilder shores of love - Part I