Favorite Books . . . We All Have Them

My new agent recently asked me what I think the all-time top five romances are, which got me thinking . . . what follows is a list of books I can read over and over. Books I own in multiple versions. Books I’d own in Hard Back and electronic form if it were possible. If I was to be trapped on a desert island, I’d be ok if I had these books, a Machete and my Ray Bans.

I’m limiting myself to five in each category, and to specific books, not authors or series.

Romances
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Venetia by Georgette Heyer (I’m limiting myself to just one Heyer)
The Seduction by Julia Ross
Something Wicked by Jo Beverley
The Edge of Impropriety by Pam Rosenthal

Historical Novels
The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett
Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwall
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Beneath a Silent Moon by Tracy Grant

Science Fiction/Fantasy
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
World War Z by Max Brooks
A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay
Godstalk by P.C. Hodgell
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

“Classics” which were contemporary for their time
Busman’s Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers
Behold, Here’s Poison by Georgette Heyer
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Piccadilly Jim by P.G. Wodehouse

Books in Translation that make me wish I could read the original:
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind
The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk





What about you? What novels make your list?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

N. Dushane Cloward

Brandywine Springs Tour -- September 21

The wilder shores of love - Part I